Technology | Education | Health & Medicine | Criminal Justice | Social Studies | Business
American InterContinental University Online Capella University Colorado Technical University Online The Art Institutes

Featured Schools

Hope Credit

Taken from IRS Pub 970 Chapter 3 Overview of Education Tax Benefits for Tax Year 2009

Maximum credit Up to $1,800 ($3,600 if a student in a Midwestern disaster area) credit per eligible student
Additional requirement for 2009 At least one eligible student must be attending an eligible educational institution in a Midwestern disaster area
Limit on modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) $120,000 if married filling jointly;
$60,000 if single, head of household, or qualifying widow(er)
Refundable or nonrefundable Nonrefundable—credit limited to the amount of tax you must pay on your taxable income
Number of years of postsecondary education Available ONLY for the first 2 years of postsecondary education
Number of tax years credit available Available ONLY for 2 tax years per eligible student
Type of degree required Student must be pursuing an undergraduate degree or other recognized education credential
Number of courses Student must be enrolled at least half time for at least one academic period that begins during the tax year
Felony drug conviction No felony drug convictions on student’s records
Qualified expenses Tuition and fees required for enrollment (including amounts required to be paid to the institution for course-related books, supplies, and equipment). Additional expenses allowed for students in Midwestern disaster areas.
Payments for academic periods Payments made in 2009 for academic periods beginning in 2009 and in the first 3 months of 2010

Who Can Claim the Credit

Generally, you can claim the Hope credit if all four of the following requirements are met.

  • You pay qualified education expenses of higher education.
  • You pay the education expenses for an eligible student.
  • The eligible student is either yourself, your spouse, or a dependent for whom you claim an exemption on your tax return.